Accra-Nsawam railway line to resume operations in September

Passenger service on the Accra-Nsawam railway line is expected to resume in September this year, the Ghana Railway Company Ltd has said.

With excitement, the Eastern regional town of Nsawam welcomed back their old love, the railway coach that ply the route.

After rehabilitation of the 40 kilometres line from Accra to Nsawam which is about 95% complete, the Managing director of the Ghana Railway Authority, John Essel has assured that the route will resume normal operation within the stipulated time.

Mr Essel said, “The Authority has gone on several test runs and highly satisfied with the quality of work done so far, I can assure you that the operations will resume in the next two weeks or the first week of September. The engineers will have to do some minimal adjustments and also see how to run the Nsawam railway as well as the Tema route.

”The main challenge for the route has been encroachment. However, the local authorities along the line have committed to working with the Ministry of Railways Development to deal with the situation.

MCE for Okaikoi North Municipal Assembly George Nii Boye Laryea has promised to get a strong monitoring team to check encroachment on the tracks.

“We will have a strong monitoring system and periodically check with the people because it’s not always about their daily bread or whatever they do but the effects on development projects”

Minister for Railway Development, Joe Ghartey charged the engineers not to go beyond the stipulated time for bringing back the operation.

“I’m telling the Managing director and his engineers that 95 per cent completion is a good milestone but the remaining 5 per cent must be accomplished within the stipulated time.  He has given about two weeks, but I will be back on these tracks after 30 days to check the progress of work. The government will give them the chance to do the little adjustment and be sure that within the 30 days everything would be done,” Mr Gharty added.